The Paying Guests The Little Stranger The Night Watch Fingersmith by Sarah Waters Affinity by Sarah Waters Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters

The Night Watch: Film Announced for BBC Two, Spring 2011

Anna Maxwell Martin (South Riding), Claire Foy (Little Dorrit), Jodie Whittaker (Accused), Harry Treadaway (Fish Tank) and Kenneth Cranham (Tess of the D'Urbervilles) will star in an adaptation of Sarah Waters' bestselling novel, The Night Watch.

It is adapted by award winning British writer, Paula Milne (Small Island, Endgame, The Virgin Queen and The Politician’s Wife) and made by BBC Drama Production. The Executive Producer for the BBC is Hilary Salmon, the producer is Annie Tricklebank and the director is Richard Laxton (Accused and Hancock and Joan).

Kate Harwood, Controller of Series And Serials, said: "BBC Drama Production are very happy to be bringing this wonderful Sarah Waters' novel to the BBC following on from productions of Fingersmith and Tipping the Velvet. This surprising, romantic and sexy novel peels away the clichés of the Blitz spirit and shows us Londoners at their most vulnerable and tender."

This news, coupled with the fact that The Little Stranger is now optioned for feature film, means that Sarah Waters is in the almost unique position of having every single one of her novels dramatised for film or television. Virago will be publishing a film tie-in edition to coincide.

Be Sociable, Share!

11 Responses to “The Night Watch: Film Announced for BBC Two, Spring 2011”

Peter Rosier says:
March 4, 2011 at 8:53 am

I very much enjoyed 'The Night Watch' as a novel and look forward to seeing it dramatised. Having seen, and been deeply drawn into, the other productions of Ms Waters' work, it will be interesting to see if this adaptation by Paula Milne varies in style from those by Andrew Davies.

David Foss says:
    May 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Just saw The Night Watch at the closing night of the Boston LGBT Film Festival. It was fabulous, with a tremendous cast (though that wasn't how I pictured Kay, but the actress won me over) and incredible recreations of wartime London. Loved the music as well, really added a lot emotionally. My only complaints (minor) would be that it is too short (feels a bit rushed at the end, and Mickey is cut out completely, which is a loss), plus the end has been brightened up a bit from the book. But just a bit. And maybe the actress playing Julia looks a little too old, but she's very good. Otherwise, a complete pleasure. A superb adaptation of my favorite Waters book (so far!). I thought the technique used to convey the time shifts was clever and fresh. Haven't been able to find out when BBC will air it (supposed to be this Spring), but I hope BBC America will air it soon after that. (I'm guessing PBS won't touch it because of the nudity; if they do, they'll probably edit it, as they did Tipping the Velvet. Boo!) I will also definitely be buying the DVD. Now I need to go rewatch the first three Waters adaptations…Thank you BBC!!!!

Karen Jones says:
April 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Can't wait for The Night Watch to be shown on BBC, read the book and hope the film is as good as book.

Val Rowland says:
April 27, 2011 at 8:55 am

When will The Night Watch be on TV?

Audrey Kalsi says:
April 30, 2011 at 11:19 am

Do you know when this Book will be dramatised in 2011. Thanks

Maartje says:
May 12, 2011 at 8:51 pm

'later this spring'… I'm checking out google and the bbc website twice a week cause I'm afraid to miss it! I live in Belgium and I don't often watch BBC (but at least am already lucky to be able to watch it in my country). Does anybody know when it's exactly aired?

I saw/bought all the other film adaptations and read all the books, including 'the night watch', so expectations are high 😛

Marnix says:
June 14, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I just finished "the Night Watch" and loved it.
Can't wait to see the BBC adapation.

No info on a possible air date is to be found on the fora and websites.
Looks like 'later this spring' probably means the summer.

I also recently bought the Virago tie-in edition online.
So it seems Virago wanted to release the tie-in edition to coincide with the festivals, and not with BBC TV.

Hope the BBC will not wait to long to air it.

Helen says:
July 5, 2011 at 11:03 am

Starts Tues 12th July at 9pm on BBC2.

At last! 🙂

Tracie says:
July 12, 2011 at 8:04 am

BBC2 TONIGHT! (12/7/11)

Jessica says:
July 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I loved The Night Watch movie adaptation. I was really crazy about the adaptation. I just felt that the movie had some gaps because I think the time was really small. I just thought the movie should have been a little bigger have another episode maybe.
When I first saw how many time it would have I said "OMG what will happen with me when it ends". And I'm still thinking about it. I will watch a few more times and read to realise what happened with the end of the movie because for me it was a bit rushed.

Jane says:
August 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I can't believe that I've missed this on TV and BBC IPayer. When will it be out on DVD????

Submit a Comment

Please N.B.: All comments will be moderated by a member of the SarahWaters.com website team. The comment facility is provided to give Sarah Waters readers and fans the opportunity to discuss the relevant article between themselves. Sarah is extremely busy and doesn't have the time to read and respond to comments in person (although the website team will do their best to answer questions if they can). If you wish to send fanmail or feedback to Sarah, please see the Contact Page of the site for details.